Chicken Tagine with Saffron
Fancy something a bit special that doesn't require a Michelin star? VeeTee's Chicken Tagine is perfect for when you deserve a dinner-time treat.
What you need to get
- 1 tray VeeTee Basmati Rice
- 4 chicken legs, skinned
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 8-10 saffron strands
- ½ tsp turmeric
- juice of 2 lemons
- ½ preserved lemon, roughly chopped
- salt & pepper
- 240ml water
- 8-10 green olives
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
What you need to do
- Marinate the chicken with 3 tbsp of oil, onion, ginger, saffron, turmeric,
lemon juice, preserved lemons, salt & pepper together in a large bowl then pour into the base of a Tagine or a suitable pan with lid.
- Place over a medium heat and cook with the lid on for 10 minutes to seal the chicken.
- Add the water and cook for a further 20-25 minutes. Stir in the olives and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan, fry the almonds in the oil until they begin to brown slightly. Add the garlic, cumin seeds and continue to fry gently for another minute.
- Add the VeeTee Basmati Rice and heat through for 2-3 minutes or until piping hot.
- Check the chicken is cooked through, adjust seasoning and serve immediately with the cumin rice.