Brown Rice & Lentil Nut Roast
"Perfect for when I want a lovely wholesome, home-cooked, vegetarian roast dinner. It's great fun because I can play around with the ingredients. I put different types of cheese and veg in and I've even been known to add apricots and cranberries. Even my carnivorous friends and family can't resist a slice with their Sunday lunch." - VeeTee member, Sion Davies.
This Brown Rice & Lentil Nut Roast recipe is perfect for a vegetarian roast dinner, and is incredibly versatile and customisable. Even meat lovers will love it!
What you need to get
- 1 tray VeeTee Wholegrain Brown Rice
- 75g lentils
- 200g mixed nuts, crushed
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 50g Parmesan shavings
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- sunflower oil
What you need to do
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3 and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until soft. Add the pepper,
chilli, carrot and garlic, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Pour in the lentils and vegetable stock. Simmer until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the lentils are soft (approx 30 mins). Remove from the hob.
- Add the cheeses, VeeTee Wholegrain Brown Rice, nuts, eggs, ketchup
and mustard to the lentils and mix thoroughly, seasoning to taste.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the foil and continue to bake for a further 30 minutes until it is firm and has a nice crust.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Tips: Use a blender or food processor to crush the nuts easily. Or place them under a clean tea towel and bash them with a rolling pin.