Check out this beautiful and tasty Sushi Cupcake from VeeTee member Hidemi Walsh
and the story behind it:
As being Japanese, I love sushi and make sometimes at home. Unfortunately, sushi rice or Japanese rice is hard to find in my town which means I don’t make “Nigiri sushi”. But I found the easy way to enjoy sushi at home using muffin baking pan and plastic wraps! Actually, you can make large sushi cake using a springform cake pan as well. This was for our 8 years anniversary dinner since my husband loves sushi. As for the toppings, you can add anything you like. Since raw seafood is so hard to get in my town, I added smoked salmon and avocado which are perfect match, and eggs (not cream cheese to make them healthier). Healthy, pretty and delicious sushi you can enjoy to cook at home.
What you need to get
For Sushi rice:
1 package VeeTee Long grain rice
3 tablespoons Rice vinegar
1.5 tablespoons Sugar
3/8 teaspoon Salt
2 Large eggs
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon Olive oil
1 small Avocado
1/2 teaspoon Grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon Lemon juice
3 oz. Smoked salmon
Mint leaves for garnish
Soy sauce and wasabi (optional) for serving
What you need to do
1. Cook rice following by the package directions.
2. Make sushi vinegar. In a small cup or bowl, mix together rice vinegar, sugar and 3/8 teaspoon salt until sugar is dissolved.
3. When the rice has cooked, put the rice into a medium bowl. Add sushi vinegar to the bowl and mix to combine.
4. Prepare 6 sheets of plastic wrap (5.5-6 x 5.5-6-inch). Line a muffin baking pan with 6 cups with plastic wrap (overhang). Put the rice into each cup evenly. Using a back of spoon, press the top hard then fold the overhang plastic wrap down and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
5. In the meantime, make toppings. In another bowl, beat eggs and add salt and black pepper to taste. In a nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the egg mixture to the skillet and make fine scrambled eggs using a fork (or 3-4 chopsticks which is easier to make fine scrambled eggs if possbible). Let cool.
6. Halve avocado, pit, scoop avocado flesh out and put into another bowl. Add lemon juice and ginger to the bowl and mix mashing avocado until combined.
7. Slice smoked salmon into thin strips.
8. After 20-30 minutes when the rice has set, remove the rice using the overhang plastic wrap, discard the wrap and place the sushi rice on a plate.
9. From now on, decorate the “Cupcake” as you like. Spread the scrambled eggs on top of each sushi rice. Put the avocado mixture, smoked salmon (I shaped them into rose (Take one piece by one and with fingers, roll up each piece and repeat this to create a rose shape until the size you want to create) and mint leaf for garnish.
10. Serve with soy sauce
Tips: For an extra kick, serve with wasabi!