Asian Flavored Rice Pizza
This delicious Asian Flavored Rice Pizza was developed by VeeTee member Hidemi Walsh
Here's her story:
Inspired by my favorite crispy browned rice I used to eat when I was a child. Long time ago, rice was cooked in a heavy big pot which is called “Kama” in Japan. When the rice was cooked in the pot (kama), you can see crispy and browned rice on the very bottom of the pot (kama) and that was my favorite part. I thought it could be a delicious pizza crust and I think I was right! Since this is Asian twisted pizza, I added soy sauce to my pizza sauce and shiitake mushrooms for toppings. When I made this before, I added shichiimi togarashi instead of crushed red pepper but I thought it is not always available for everyone so I added crushed red pepper. This pizza has big savory, smoky and umami flavor. Different kind of pizza but I believe it is worth trying!
What you need to get
For pizza crust:
1 package Veetee Long Grain Rice
1 large Egg, beaten
4 tablespoons Cornstarch
1 teaspoon Grated garlic
1/8 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Olive oil
1 large Egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon Light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon Soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper (adjust the amount based on your preferred spiciness)
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Plain Greek yogurt
2 large Shiitake mushrooms
2 slices Thick cut bacon
1/2 cup Shredded mozzarella cheese
What you need to do
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cook rice following the package directions.
2. Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet until both sides are lightly brown. Drain on paper towels then chop bacon.
3. Remove the stem of shiitake mushrooms, discard the stems and slice shiitake mushrooms thinly. Chop scallions.
4. Make crust. When the rice has cooked, transfer into a medium-large bowl. Add egg, cornstarch, salt, grated garlic and olive oil to the bowl and with a spatula, mix to combine. Divide the mixture into two. With your wet hands (easier to work with), spread each rice mixture to 6-6.5–inch circle on a large baking sheet greased with nonstick cooking spray. When the oven is ready, put the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 9-10 minutes or until the top is dry and edges are almost crisp.
5. In the meantime, make pizza sauce. In a small bowl, mix together egg yolk, brown sugar, mayonnaise, soy sauce, yogurt and crushed red pepper.
6. After 9-10 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Spread the sauce over the crust evenly. Arrange shiitake mushrooms and bacon over the sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and scallions over the top. Return the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese melt and edges of the crust are crisp and golden brown.
If the pizza dough is too sticky, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
Tips: If the pizza dough is too sticky, wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.