Spicy Sweet Potato Bean Burgers
"Being gluten intolerant, I often have difficulty finding tasty and convenient food in the supermarkets. So I came up with the recipe for these burgers. They are packed with flavour and have lots of the nutrients I feel I need as a vegetarian." - VeeTee Member, Sara O'Shea
Suitable for those on both a gluten-free and a vegetarian diet, these sweet potato bean burgers are a healthy and nutritious meal, perfect for those summer barbecues.
What you need to get
- 1 tray VeeTee Thai Jasmine Rice
- 2 large sweet potatoes, roughly sliced
- 400g kidney beans, drained
- 400g butter beans, drained
- 100g goats or cheddar cheese, grated
- 60g red or green jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 egg
- 1½ tsp gluten free stock powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- juice of 1 lime
- olive oil
What you need to do
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/ gas mark 4.
- Lay the sweet potatoes on a baking tray, drizzle with some olive oil and bake in the oven for around 35-40 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, crumble the VeeTee Thai Jasmine Rice into a large mixing bowl and mix with the remaining ingredients.
- Once the sweet potatoes are ready, mash and stir into the rice mixture.
- Shape into 8 burgers using your hands and shallow fry on a low heat for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until the outside is golden and crispy and the inside is piping hot. Serve immediately.
Tips: Serve in a toasted gluten-free burger bun for a perfect summer treat.