Rice and Peas
This classic dish is great as a side to lamb and beef dishes. It has a deep flavour and aroma which will compliment your proteins perfectly.
What you need to get
- 200g Veetee Mega Basmati, washed and drained
- 2 tbsp Sunflower oil
- 1 Large onion, finely sliced
- 4 Garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1/2 Tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Large handful Coriander, finely chopped
- 1 Large handful Thyme, finely chopped
- 60g Frozen sweetcorn, defrosted
- 200ml Coconut milk
- 200 ml Water
- 1 Tsp Salt & Pepper, to taste
What you need to do
- Mix water and Coconut milk together
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the rice and fry for 2-3 minutes until shiny
- Add the beans, coriander leaves, salt and pepper.
- Pour in coconut and water mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, stir the rice once and cover. Simmer for 12 minutes and leave the pan covered for a further 5 minutes for the rice to finish cooking in the steam.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and serve hot, sprinkled with chopped coriander & thyme.