Lemon & Chickpea Rice
Perfect served with lemon wedges to enhance the citrus flavours of the dish.
To make it far easier to get all the juice out of your lemons and limes roll them firmly back and forth on the work surface to soften them prior to squeezing to be sure you don’t waste any juice. (Alternatively warm them for a few seconds in the microwave prior to squeezing!)
What you need to get
- 2 trays VeeTee Basmati & Wild Rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds, whole
- 8-10 curry leaves (optional)
- juice & rind of ½ lemon
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- salt & pepper
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
What you need to do
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and as they begin to pop, add the curry leaves if desired and strips of lemon rind and leave to cook for 1 minute until the lemon rind is lightly coloured.
- Mix in the chickpeas, garlic, seasonings, lemon juice, and tomato paste,
cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Heat the VeeTee Basmati & Wild Rice according to pack instructions and add into the pan, mixing well and season to taste. Stir in the coriande and serve immediately.
Tips: Perfect served with lemon wedges to enhance the citrus flavours of the dish.