Jewelled Rice Stack
This dish is a real showstopper. With its crown like structure it will certainly wow your guests.
What you need to get
- 200g VeeTee Mega Basmati Rice, washed and drained
- 1 tbsp Whole Milk
- 1 large pinch, Saffron
- 3 tbsp Ghee or Oil
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 3 Green Chillies, Chopped finely
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 150g Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Peas, Beans), peeled and diced with a pinch of salt
- 1 Handful, Chopped Mint leaves
- 1 Handful, Chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp Flaked Almonds, toasted
- To Taste: Salt
What you need to do
- Lightly crush mixture of 10 green cardamoms, 5 black cardamoms, 12 peppercorns, small stick of cinnamon, 10 cloves, 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, 3 bay leaves in 450ml of water
- Put the mixture of spices (except 5 green cardamoms) into a pan with the water and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and allow to steep.
- Crush the reserved cardamom finely in a mortar and mix with the milk and saffron
- Heat a tablespoon of the ghee or oil in a pan and fry the onions until brown. Remove half of them and reserve for the garnish.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and chillies and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add powder spices, cook for a minute, adding a splash of water then add the tomato puree. Season with salt.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the pan and simmer for few minutes until the ghee or oil begins to separate.
- Heat the remaining ghee or oil in a separate pan and fry the rice on high heat. In a few minutes, when the rice is shiny, strain the spiced water into the pan. Season with salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover and cook for about 10-12 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
- Arrange a ring mold on your serving plate, put a centimetre thick layer of rice at the bottom and press it down lightly
- Top this with a layer of the vegetable curry and sprinkle some of the fried onions, mint leaves and coriander leaves.
- Then begin with another layer of rice and sprinkle the almonds on top. Press down lightly and remove the mold to create a stack.
- Garnish with the remaining fried onions, mint and coriander. Drizzle with the saffron and cardamom milk..