Golden Caramel Rice
A sweet, decadent rice dish that is sure to get your taste buds tingling
What you need to get
- 200g Veetee Mega Basmati, washed and drained
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Large onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp Caster Sugar
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Tsp Salt to taste
What you need to do
- Measure double the volume of water to rice in a jug.
- Put the sugar and 2 teaspoons of water in a large saucepan and set over a high heat until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking until the sugar caramelises to a rich golden colour. Remove from the heat, stand back and slowly pour in the water from the jug. It will bubble furiously, so be careful. Mix well so that you get a warm brown liquid. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a high heat and add the cinnamon sticks and cloves. As the oil heats up, they will begin to sizzle and develop an aroma. Add the sliced onion and cook over a high heat for 5–6 minutes, stirring, until it starts to turn golden. Reduce the heat to medium and continue cooking for 7–8 minutes until it develops a deep brown colour. Reserve some of this for the garnish.
- Tip in the rice and fry for a couple of minutes until it turns opaque, then pour in the caramel liquid and season with salt.
- Bring to the boil, stir once, then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 10 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Remove from the heat, leave the rice to rest for 5 minutes, covered, then remove the lid, fluff the rice with a fork and serve hot with fried onions on top.