Elderflower & Pistachio Rice Kheer with Saffron
This is a traditional Indian rice pudding dish. Sometimes made with Tapioca, it is a sweet dessert that is beautifully warming
What you need to get
- 150g Veetee Mega Basmati, soaked for 30 mins
- 500ml Full-Fat Milk
- 2 tbsp Green Pistachios, roughly chopped
- 100ml Single Cream
- 4 tbsp Elderflower cordial
For the Garnish
- 25g Veetee Mega Basmati, washed and drained
- 1 tbsp Caster Sugar to taste
- 1 tbsp Large pinch, saffron, soaked in tsp of warm water
- 1 tbsp Green cardamom pods, de-husked and seeds crushed
What you need to do
- Drain the rice and place it in a heavy-based pan with the milk and bring to the boil, then leave to simmer for 1 hour, or until cooked.
- In the meantime, prepare the garnish. Combine the rice with 150ml of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 10-12 minutes until done. Drain through a sieve.
- Combine the saffron water, sugar and cardamom in a small bowl and mix in this cooked rice. Reserve.
- Once the rice from Step 1 has cooked, add the sugar and pistachios (reserve some for the garnish) and allow to cool
- Stir in the cream and Elderflower cordial.
- Pour the kheer into individual glasses, put a spoonful of the saffron rice on top and serve sprinkled with the remaining pistachios. Serve at room temperature or chilled.