Chinese Pork Belly
Traditional Chinese Pork Belly recipe that can serve up to 6! Our tasty recipe is easy to cook with our Heat & Eat rice so give it a go today.
What you need to get
- 1 tray VeeTee Long Grain Rice
- 1kg pork belly, sliced or in one piece
- 5 spring onions, cut in half
- 1 tbsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 10 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 7 tbsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- cornflour mixture (2 tbsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp water)
What you need to do
- Place the pork in a deep saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Drain the water and set pork aside.
- Place the ginger and spring onions in the saucepan, and stir-fry in oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1.5 litres of water and boil for 10 minutes – the pork should be submerged.
- Add the soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and pork (skin side down) to the water and boil for 5 minutes on a high heat. Turn the heat down and simmer for 2- 2 ½ hours, turning the pork skin side up halfway through the cooking time.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C / 450°F / Gas Mark 7.
- Carefully remove the pork and place in the hot oven. Bake skin side up for a further 20 minutes or until the skin darkens and looks glossy.
- Meanwhile continue boiling the pork sauce down until it has a gravy-like consistency. If it is too watery, add some of the cornflour mix and continually stir until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the pork from the steamer, carve and serve alongside the VeeTee Long Grain Rice.