How to cook rice
There are many ways you can cook Basmati rice and time after time we speak to people that struggle to cook perfect rice from scratch. But don’t be put off – to help you out, the method we swear by is the hob method (absorption), giving you perfectly fluffy, aromatic rice grains each time. Use our easy to follow guide to try it out and see for yourself! Even if it doesn't work for you first time round, you can always rely on our microwaveable Heat & Eat Basmati Rice, ready to enjoy in just 2 minutes.
There are a few tricks to cooking perfectly fluffy Basmati rice which we recommend you don’t skip – the results really are worth the extra effort:
|Place the rice in a sieve and rinse under cold running water.
||Put in a large pan of boiling water. Add salt as desired.
||Stir once, cover and simmer for 10 - 12 minutes.
||Drain well, fluff through the grains with a fork and serve.
We’ve also given you a few additional options below to consider as alternative great ways to cook Basmati rice:
- Place the rice in a sieve and rinse with cold running water.
- Then put the rice into a large bowl, cover with water and leave to soak for 20 minutes (this makes the grain as long as possible).
- Add salt to a saucepan of boiling water, before adding the rice. Stir once, then return to the boil.
- Cover with a lid then reduce the heat. Simmer gently for 10-12 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Avoid opening the lid or stirring the rice during cooking.
- Remove the lid and take the pan off the heat. Leave the rice to stand for five minutes before serving.
- Pour the measured water into your kettle and boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse the rice thoroughly under a running tap, then add to a ceramic baking dish along with the water.
- Add a pinch of salt, stir once, then cover with tin foil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 180o / 350F / Gas mark 4 for 25-30 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Rinse the rice under a tap then place it in a large bowl.
- Cover the rice with water and leave to soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain then place the rice into the cooking pot of the rice cooker, with 350ml water.
- Ensure the rice is submerged before placing the lid on the rice cooker and turn on
- Once rice cooker turns itself off (when all water has been absorbed), leave to stand with the lid on for 10-15 minutes
- Remove lid and fluff up the rice before serving.
- Rinse the rice in water and place in a bowl, before covering with water and leaving to soak for 30 minutes
- Place the rice into a microwaveable bowl, before adding the boiling water and a pinch of salt
- Cover with cling film, and create a small hole in the top to allow air to escape
- Cook on full power for 6-7 minutes or until all water has been absorbed.
- Stand the rice for 5 minutes, then uncover and fluff through before serving.